Friday 10 February 2012

Hola Hola!

Ahoy there! My name is Nick Morgan. I’m a 22 year old idiotic, thrill seeking Tasmanian, and today I quit my job...Woohooo!!

Yes, some may categorise me as another useless product of an imprudent generation Y, but with no responsibilities and no regrets (thus far) I can’t see why the rules and regulations of our structured little society shouldn’t be thrown out the window more often than not. So, with that in mind, I’ll soon be gone. Up, up and awayyyy!!! Hooray!! Yep, that day has finally come to pack my bags and run. To leave behind my family and friends in search of that fantastical dream I’ll probably never find…However, it is that great haze of uncertainty which feeds this inclination, and I’ve become possessed by a restlessness only overcome through a combination of spontaneity, adrenaline fuelled activity, new faces or new places. After all, who wants to be that old, fat, depressed guy, contently carrying his bulbous belly around a supermarket, arguing with a deranged second wife over the gravox, forever looking back on this moment as the big ‘what if’ of his life??...not me…Ever the optimist! ‘Here’s to retirement! Here’s to gap living! Here’s to the naivety of youth!’ Life’s sure about to get pretty darn good.


And here is ‘Grand master plan’ priority number one: - have HEAPS of fun. Priority two: - try not to get shot. More former than latter and we can call it a happy holiday.


From there, things get a little hazy…I went and bought myself a one way ticket to Mexico City, and from the comfort and safety of my boxy little office desk at home, come up with this idea that I can travel overland all the way to the bottom of continental South America by the end of the year. If I make it that far and I’ve still got cash, limbs and a smile on the dial, I guess I’ll scoot back up the other side. I know it’s sure to be a lot more difficult than I’m making it sound, but I’m definitely up for the adventure and can’t wait to see what Latin America’s got to hurl my way.


I decided to create this blog mainly as a way to reassure my folks that I’m still alive, and also so I don’t have to answer the same repetition of questions every time I jump on email or facebook. “Yes, I’m having a great time. Yes, I’m wearing my sunscreen. Yes, I’ll try my best not to smuggle drugs into Panama...” I mean there’s no way you can compress a weeks worth of already indescribable travel stories into a few sentences over the internet. I guess in a way it’ll also serve as my verbal vomit, a place to say what I wanna say to the people who want to hear it. Travelling on your own can be rewarding, but there sure are times when you wish you had someone else there to share the ups and downs.


So, to all who have read this much and seem to actually give a shit, I look forward to sharing my journeys with you. To my kick-ass friends and family, it’s going to suck not having you around…so don’t have too good a time without me! You really are the best and I’ll see you all soon. I shall be back, I just don’t quite know when…


Much everlasting love,
…a gun totting, gringo bandit off practicing his Spanish.

Happy livin'!

1 comment:

  1. As the first wife of you Uncle,(see, I did read your spiel) I am so chuffed to be able to follow your enviable journey. Cousin Gina is heading your way and also rapidly trying to conquer the Spanish lingo so if you two ever get together, you can drive the rest of us mad, while you take the absolute proverbial out of us. Have the time of your life, be safe and stay happy. Love always, Vonnie Mwah() ()

    ReplyDelete