Monday 4 February 2013

Straddling a Leaky Boat, Búzios

Well this is sure to be fun...the girls have well and truly passed out under the food court tables in the bus terminal, while the remainder of us are struggling to utter even a single intelligible word. Our brains are mashed. What were we thinking?? This is the worst escapee of my life. During a spontaneous spat of fresh faced friendship, I made the call to follow these lads out to the beach bummin' hangout of Búzios for a few 'relaxing' days. I needed a detox - a space to chill; however in hindsight I was clueless (or maybe careless) that the worst was yet to come. Now here we were, wishing & waiting for our pickup. I was seeing yet still not believing...HeartBreaker had pulled out this set of speakers the size of my backpack!! How was this plausible. Heck, I wasn't complaining. A few beats couldn't make matters any worse, that's for sure. PeeTee had had a little malfunction while making his way to the terminal; somehow he'd managed to lose his small throw-over, which happened to contain his most valuable assets. Passport, Ipod, bank cards...shit mate, that's not exactly the best situation to find yourself stuck in. We'd tried our best to chase down the taxi who'd delivered us to the front step, but this was a losing battle. Convinced it was still sitting on the cab floor, we'd all but lost hope. 'Hey, maybe I left it in the hostel...', we had left in quite the rush after all - I'd packed my shit within the minute with no realisation that it would take another heat-sweat induced three hours to finally make a move. This possibility brightened our day...it hadn't been sounding good. All of a sudden there he was, striding bright smiled through the terminal with everything in place and everything a go. The wild weekend awaited. Let's go fucking mental!!

Off to the beach!!
Leaving Rio was stunning. Holy shit, what a remarkable city. Driving over the vast bridge provided us with a new perspective on the immensity of the urban sprawl - small ports were dotted everywhere & shanty towns lofted their way up the outskirt hillsides. Glad for that...my hangover had well and truly kicked in from our last night out on the town, and if it wasn't for the freezing air-con, I think I would have shrivelled up & died. I didn't even have an idea of where we were going. The only reference I had was the idea that 'Búzios' sounded like the Spanish word for 'diving'; and bar that I was running blind & letting TheBoss run the pack. It's nice every now and again not having to think. Once off the bus we toddled down the coppled streets, asking around for a hostel in a town which was apparently booked out. I couldn't believe out luck when we managed to snag six spots in one of the coolest hostels I've been in over the entire course of my journey. Nomads Hostel, smack on the waterfront. You couldn't have asked for a more picturesque spot. An illuminated cruise ship lit up the bay, and provided us a stoned spectacle for a large chunk of the night. On top of the geographical perfection of the place; us guys found ourselves littered & literally outnumbered by smoking hot Brazilian & Argentine holiday makers. It was like something wasn't right in an ideal world. What was the catch?? Paradise.

View from our hostel
Our first grab at gold was a cruisy day on the most popular beach in the area. I'd rendezvoused with a mate of mine from Brasilia, and with his help we colectivo'ed our way down the peninsulas coastline to find our hot spot. Man, what a life. How could I ever go home after this?? Sun, fun & football...that's all that mattered. Kicking one around makes you king. Within a few minutes a bunch of kids were crowding around eager to join in and play. We got a little cheeky with the Argentine ladies on a self diagnosed mission induced by the girls. The contest was on - who could pull the most poontang?? We kind of all flopped on that level, at least until that night. Another rager of a party. My body was set to explode!! At some point in the night we decided to go for a dip in the sea without any clothes on; however as always, the only naked twat turned out to be me. Between the mayhem we'd all tried to climb aboard a tiny wooden boat, but somehow managed to lap the thing with a bit much saline water. Bail, bail, bail!! It was like a miniature Titanic, slowly melting into the shallow depths of the ocean. I felt kind of bad later on, when we sat there watching the locals rescue the poor dear on the shore. What ever the significance of this instance was - it got me a drunken mang from some English bird I couldn't remember, PeeTee (the no Portuguese, or no Spanish speaking Perth champ) managed to pick up with a Brazilian who herself couldn't speak a word of English, and I plucked to pieces a tray of fire, flavoured with alcoholic sugar. It was one of the best nights I'd had in a long time. Plenty of broken guitar strings & an almost broken PeeTee body, from a death defying gangplank thong rescue. So much for the detox.

Beaches near Búzios
Of course it was off to the beach yet again the following day. That was all we could do...and I wasn't about to complain. I'd been dreaming of a place like this for way too long. So much time spent in the shadows of Patagonia that I'd almost sent myself insane with an impossibly upturned imagination. Our two Brazilian girls tagged along for the compliments...they'd fixed us up earlier with a bunch of bitchin' sungas, so we weren't about to not return the favour. By the end of the day I was roasted. Completely red from top to bottom - and the white blocks of my legs which had never seen sun were due to peel like plastic. That night one of our Argentine pals hooked us all up with a typical mouth watering asado. I swear these cats are cooler when on holiday!! He wouldn't even let us begin to help. It was like an insult to even ask. Around in a circle of new friends, we feasted like kings upon BBQ'ed meat and freshly prepared salads. It was good to eat something proper...the deep fried chicken balls were killing me.

An Argentine asado
I couldn't exactly hang about in the sun the following day. I hadn't been this burnt for as long as I could remember!! We lazed around in the shallows for the better part of the afternoon, occasionally having a kick of the football, in between wall beating 'clothes washing' sessions in the beach side shower. We thought we were due for a pretty chilled out night, so with that we decided to smoke a spliff and take it a' rockingly easy...of course once we were super stoned the party got well & truly happeningly started. Heck, I couldn't keep up. I was soooo baked. I couldn't take my eyes off our Argentinian chicas butt clash dancing...the sexiest thing I think I've ever seen. Haha, and even MummaMilf came out to play...what a washed up once-woman. Things were pretty bangin' until she decided to join JackiO & Gabrial up on the bar for a table top dance off. It was at this point I ran smack back into Pepi...well hey girl!! Lookin' choice under this haze cloud. She'd found it hilariously normal to go for a midnight swim with all her clothes on, and now she was near passed out on the receptions couch. 'I want McDonalds!!', shit...it was like dealing with a six year old halfling...'Pepi, Maccas is shut...you're gunna have to settle for Bobs.' Ahhh, Bobs! Quality munch. We made for a stairwell make-out while HeartBreaker sat in the shadows like Aragorn, confused and weary from his night with the semi-pyscho Uruguayan.

Fiesta Loca
I was running out of stamina. How could I maintain this for the upcoming Carnival?? The CuscoCough was back. I wasn't sounding healthy. Still, it was a ton of fun. We searched the rain soaked streets for bud, & spent a majority of the afternoon deciphering up new tattoos. By night we wandered, aimlessly jumbled with our purpose. Pepi finally confessed that my Spanish was bad, yet I felt slightly chuffed when she told me she still understood. She'd always came to me for answers. Most of the time I can't say I had any. Let's just say dorm rooms suck, and there is nothing we can do about it. No. That's a lie. Bust it on the beach. JackiO has all the stylin'. I'm out. Dead & beaten. With love for Brazil. Kiss, kiss...

Football on the beach
Brazilian Babes

Argentine mung
Lads

Losing a winning battle...
Keep it ace chums!!
Nicko xx

1 comment:

  1. Nick, I've to agree with you that these days in Búzios were fucking amazing. I'm so glad for these days spent with you guys. You dont know how much I miss you, Emma, Siobhon, Jakki, Tim and Sven. I hope to see you guys again in Australia or in another part of this big world soon. Have a nice trip!

    Lucas Lopes - Brasilia - Brazil

    ReplyDelete